The Megalith Movers Prehistoric Engineering
Blog 21st November 2015    Monday I awoke early, fit, well, and eager to continue the progress we had made towards the end of last week. Again it was not to be. Just before I set out I received an email from Steve informing me that although he was fit and well, his two dogs were anything but, he had to take them both to the vet.    I already knew that neither of them was in the best of health, the younger one had had a close encounter with a spitting cobra that had left her totally blind, now it seemed that she was also paralysed in both back legs. The other dog had been struck down with some tick born disease which left him unsteady on his legs, and in-spite of him eating as well as ever he seemed to be getting thinner and weaker by the day.    Tuesday the dogs were no better, but what more could we do? We continued with the experiment and achieved another three inch lift, not bad considering there was just the two of us.    Wednesday was much the same, as was Thursday. We were making good progress. Things were difficult with just the two of us, especially as we were now working up to twelve feet above ground level. If we had been working on a real stone staircase, it would have been much less demanding on this old body of mine. However, Friday we had the easiest lift of the week, a full three inches in the first half hour. We considered going for a second lift, but I had been aching to try something new, a new much thicker fulcrum, and now was the perfect time to give it a try.    The idea had taken root a few weeks ago with a chance remark from Sean: “What we really need is several fulcrums of different thicknesses, that way we could replace the fulcrum with a thicker one after each lift.” A couple of days after Sean's remark, I found myself staring at a tree trunk which was lying in the yard at home. My thoughts went something like this: “Now that would make a good fulcrum, but at about nine inches in diameter and perhaps six feet long it is simply to heavy for two men to pick up. Absolutely no chance of lifting it up onto our scaffold.” I continued to stare at the log. “Cut it into short sections and reassemble it on the scaffold, I could easily do that single handed.” Over the next few days I transported the logs one piece at a time every time I went over to Steve's place. Now with the first lift completed in record time, as soon as Steve had consolidated the lift by packing the first fail-safe tower, I set about testing the new sectional fulcrum.    In the photo below you can see the first part of the new fulcrum and the first lever in place ready for the sandbags. On Monday we will position the rest of the sections and try another lift. I am now quietly confident that this new fulcrum will prove invaluable over the next few weeks, and could speed up the process of getting the obelisk upright.   << previous blog page next blog page >> To read & post comments click here return to top of this page

Megalith Movers - Building Stonehenge:

Megalith Movers -
Raising an Obelisk video 1:

Hapshetsut Obelisk - megalithmovers.org
 Advertise your company here! Contact us here for more information & rates
Megalith Movers - prehistoric engineering Ascot Bespoke Kitchens, Derby Chiang Mai Cider House, Thailand UKIP
Copyright ©2014-17 Megalith Movers   All rights reserved 
Subscribe to our occasional newsletter & receive updates about our ongoing project _______________________________________ Please ensure your email address is entered correctly!
Subscribe to our occasional newsletter & receive updates about our ongoing project Click here to subscribe