The Megalith Movers Prehistoric Engineering
Blog 25th July 2015    Not much actual physical progress this week, partly because of the weather, we are now entering the rainy season here in North-east Thailand, and partly because of my own stupidity.    On Monday it rained all day, so the days session was called off.    On Tuesday it was fine, so Steve and myself continued to try different ways to overcome a problem that has been troubling us for the past few weeks. The problem is, as we try to complete each lift, the lifting bar and main support tower is showing a tendency to creep away from the plinth a little with each lift. A problem that gets worse with each subsequent lift, and always ends in disaster when we eventually suffer a complete failure. Luckily, the fail-safe towers are doing what they were designed to do, and all we suffered was the loss of what we had gained during that lift. However, this results in a great deal of work, as we struggle to get the tower back to where it should be, and often results in minor breakages that also have to be rectified.    Things continued in this way Wednesday and Thursday, whatever we tried, the result was always the same, although we were making a little progress in our efforts to raise the obelisk. However, at the rate were were going, I would really be an old man by the time it was upright.    On Thursday afternoon I was sitting staring at a blank TV screen, when I found myself idly playing with my cigarette lighter, the lighter was a lever and the ashtray was our working platform. I slid the lever over the edge of the ashtray and under my imaginary support tower. As I loaded on the sandbags, the lever slowly came down towards horizontal and I could see that the force created at the business end of the lever was entirely upwards. No backward force at all. I loaded on one last sandbag, this tipped the balance and the business end of my lighter continued the same arc as it had been doing, only now the force was backwards as well as upwards, and only the top surface of the coffee table prevented the lighter from completing the arc when the force would have been entirely backward.    How could I have been so stupid? It was so obvious! The lever follows an arc and there is a good part of that arc, when the laws of physics are acting for us and a bad part when the laws of physics are working against us by moving the bottom of the tower away from where we want it.    Therefore all we have to do is stay within certain limits, and allow the laws of physics to raise the obelisk for us. With the fulcrum set as we have been doing, the limit seems to be three inches of lift before we step of the cliff. What we will do now is halt the lift at less than three inches, and insert the packing under the tower before it gets chance to move. Then we will repeat this procedure and repeat again, until we have more than six inches of space under the tower when will insert the next two rings.    Once we have practised this a few times, three lifts of almost three inches each should be easy enough, say seven and a half inches per day. Five days per week equals over three feet per week. Two men erecting a ten ton obelisk in perhaps ten weeks? Fantastic.    When I awoke on Friday I rose early keen to try this new thinking. It was raining hard, and continued to do so all morning. I would try again Monday.    << previous blog page next blog page >> To read & post comments click here return to top of this page

Megalith Movers - Building Stonehenge:

Megalith Movers -
Raising an Obelisk video 1:

Hapshetsut Obelisk -
 Advertise your company here! Contact us here for more information & rates
Megalith Movers - prehistoric engineering Ascot Bespoke Kitchens, Derby Chiang Mai Cider House, Thailand UKIP
Copyright ©2014-17 Megalith Movers   All rights reserved 
Subscribe to our occasional newsletter & receive updates about our ongoing project _______________________________________ Please ensure your email address is entered correctly!
Subscribe to our occasional newsletter & receive updates about our ongoing project Click here to subscribe